Tonight, as consistently, is the festival watchmaking, watchmakers and watches in general… Tonight is the Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève (or GPHG 2019) – the Oscars of the watchmaking industry. A few classifications are represented (ladies, men, complicated and even affordable) and the best watches of the year will be awarded the coveted Golden Hand prize – and obviously, the prize we’re all hanging tight for, the “Aiguille d’Or” or the most amazing aspect show, praising the best watch introduced in 2019. As MONOCHROME is one of the authority press accomplices of the show, we’ll be broadcasting the occasion live, from 06:30 pm (Europe Time) this evening. Stay tuned on MONOCHROME!
As a reminder, here’s the complete rundown of the GPHG 2019 finalists.
Women’s watches comprising the accompanying indications just: hours, minutes, seconds, basic date (day of the month), power hold, classic moon stages; might be adorned with a most extreme 8-carat diamond setting.
- Bvlgari Serpenti Seduttori Pink Gold and Diamonds
- Chanel J12 Caliber 12.1
- Hermès Galop d’Hermès
- Hublot Classic Fusion Orlinski Titanium Alternative Pavé
- Moritz Grossmann TEFNUT Arabian Nights Milanaise
- Van Cleef & Arpels Perlée watch
Women’s watches that are striking regarding their mechanical inventiveness and complexity. These watches may include a wide range of classic and/or imaginative complications and indications (for example yearly calendar, unending calendar, condition of time, complex moon stages, digital or retrograde time display, worldtime, second time region or different sorts of model) and do not fit the definition of the Ladies’ and Mechanical Exception categories.
- Bvlgari Divas Dream The Roman Night
- Chaumet Soleil de Minuit Flying Tourbillon
- Jacob&Co Fleurs de Jardin
- Louis Vuitton Tambour Spin Time Air Paved
- MB&F Legacy Machine FlyingT
- Van Cleef & Arpels Lady Arpels Zodiac Lumineux Aries watch
Men’s watches comprising the accompanying indications just: hours, minutes, seconds, basic date (day of the month), power hold, classic moon stages; might be adorned with a greatest 5-carat pearl setting.
- Alchemists Mechanical Healing Cu29
- De Bethune DB28 Yellow Tones
- Grand Seiko Spring Drive Manual-winding Platinum
- Grönefeld 1941 Principia Automatic
- Laurent Ferrier Bridge One
- Voutilainen 28ti
Men’s watches that are momentous regarding their mechanical innovativeness and complexity. These watches may include a wide range of classic and/or imaginative complications and indications (for example worldtime, dual-time or different sorts of model) and do not fit the definition of the Men’s and Mechanical Exception categories.
- Audemars Piguet Code 11.59 by Audemars Piguet Minute Repeater Supersonnerie
- Czapek Genève Place Vendôme “Ombres”
- D.Candaux DC6-Solstice
- Ulysse Nardin Freak X
- Vacheron Constantin Overseas Tourbillon
- Zenith Defy El Primero Double Tourbillon
Men’s or ladies’ watches from a meaningful assortment that has been practicing an enduring impact on watchmaking history and the watch market for more than 25 years.
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak “Jumbo” Extra-thin
- Girard-Perregaux Quasar
- Hamilton Intra-Matic Automatic Chronograph
- IWC Schaffhausen IWC Tribute to Pallweber Edition “150 Years”
- TAG Heuer Monaco Eighties
- Zenith El Primero A384 Revival
Mechanical watches comprising in any event one tourbillon and/or an exceptional escapement and/or another development improving chronometry (accuracy timekeeping). Additional indications and/or complications are admissible.
- Antoine Preziuso Genève TTR3 Blue Equalizer Frequencies
- Armin Strom Pure Resonance Rose Gold
- Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud Carburised steel regulator
- IWC Schaffhausen Big Pilot’s Watch Constant-Force Tourbillon Edition “Le Petit Prince”
- TAG Heuer Autavia Isograph
- Zenith Defy Inventor
calendar and astronomy
Men’s mechanical watches comprising in any event one calendar and/or galactic complication (for example date, yearly calendar, ceaseless calendar, condition of time, complex moon stages display, and so on) Additional indications and/or complications are admissible.
- Audemars Piguet Code 11.59 by Audemars Piguet Perpetual Calendar
- Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud Far Side of the Moon
- Girard-Perregaux Cosmos
- Hermès Arceau L’heure de la Lune
- Sarpaneva Lunations
- Ulysse Nardin Marine Mega Yacht
Men’s and/or ladies’ watches highlighting an uncommon component, like an inventive or sophisticated display, a robot, a striking or some other acoustic capacity, a belt-driven development or some other unique and/or outstanding horological concept.
- Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Selfwinding Perpetual Calendar Ultra-Thin
- Bvlgari Octo Roma Grande Sonnerie Perpetual Calendar
- Genus GNS1.2
- Ulysse Nardin Freak NeXt
- Urwerk AMC
- Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Twin Beat Perpetual Calendar
Mechanical watches comprising in any event one chronograph indication. Additional indications and/or complications are admissible.
- Bvlgari Octo Finissimo Chronograph GMT Automatic
- Chopard L.U.C Chrono One Flyback
- Hublot Classic Fusion Ferrari GT 3D Carbon
- Louis Moinet Chronosphère
- TAG Heuer Carrera Tourbillon Nanograph
- Zenith Defy El Primero 21 Carbon
Watches linked to the world of diving, whose capacities, materials and design are suited to this activity.
- De Bethune DB28GS Grand Bleu
- Longines HydroConquest
- Reservoir Hydrosphere Blackfin
- Ressence Type 5
- Seiko Prospex LX line diver’s
- Ulysse Nardin Diver Great White
Watches demonstrating outstanding authority of the craft of adornments and gemsetting, and additionally distinguished by the decision of stones.
- Bvlgari Serpenti Misteriosi Romani
- Chopard Waterlily
- Hermès Arceau H Déco
- Hublot Big Bang One Click Rainbow
- Jacob&Co The Mystery Tourbillon
- Van Cleef & Arpels Jardin de Glace Secret watch
Watches demonstrating outstanding authority of one or a few imaginative procedures, for example, plating, lacquering, etching, guilloché (motor turning), skeleton-working, etc.
- Andersen Genève Vita Vinum
- Bereve Timepieces Numbers – Enamel Grand Feu
- Chopard L.U.C XP Esprit de Fleurier Peony
- Hermès Arceau Baobab Cat
- Jacob&Co Astronomia Dragon
- Voutilainen Starry Night Vine
Watches with a retail cost between CHF 4,000 and CHF 10,000. Smartwatches are admissible in this category.
- David Rutten Meteorite Watches Streamline
- IWC Schaffhausen Pilot’s Watch Chronograph Spitfire
- Kudoke Kudoke 2
- Maurice Lacroix Aikon Mercury
- Trilobe Les Matinaux Sunray Grey
- Zenith Pilot Type 20 Silver
Watches with a retail cost under CHF 4,000. Smartwatches are admissible in this category.
- Ciga Design Single-Hand Mechanical Wristwatch Series·Globe
- Doxa SUB 200
- Gorilla Watches Fastback GT Drift
- Ming 17.06 Copper
- Seiko Presage Arita Porcelain Dial
- Tudor Black Bay P01
Along with these 14 plainly defined classes, the GPHG 2019 will likewise give an award to watches falling in these categories:
This prize rewards the best watch, presented in one of the fourteen classes, that offers an inventive vision of time estimation (as far as procedure, design, materials, and so on) and opens up new development pathways for the watchmaking craftsmanship. This prize is discretionary and the jury will decide whether there are grounds for awarding it in 2019.
This prize rewards the best watch, presented in one of the fourteen classifications, which includes a non-traditionalist, unconventional way to deal with watchmaking. It is intended to encourage inventive audacity. This prize is discretionary and the jury will decide whether there are grounds for awarding it in 2019.
“Horological Revelation” Prize
This prize rewards a watch, created by a youthful brand (under ten years of presence since its first model was commercialized) and entered in one of the fourteen classes. It might likewise reward the mechanical formation of a youthful ability, if none of the competing watches should be considered deserving of getting this prize. This prize is discretionary and the jury will decide whether it should be awarded in 2019.
Special Jury Prize
This prize rewards a character, organization or activity that has played a fundamental part in advancing excellent watchmaking. It can’t be awarded to a watch, nor to a brand as such.
The most amazing aspect show, the “Palme d’Or” of the watchmaking industry, a.k.a. the GPHG 2019 prize for the best watch in 2019.